With the beginning of EVLD's new film series this week, it's good to remember that communities have gathered to watch "movies" since the beginning of cinema in America. In the 1930s and '40s, before the theatre in Minturn, Red Cliff residents watched movies at Carlson Hall, now the site of the Green Bridge Inn (104 Water St.). The hall had movable wooden platforms on which chairs were placed for movies but could be taken down in the event of a dance or dinner. The heating system was a huge pot-belly stove on the left hand side of the room that heated the closest chairs...from there on, the room was rather frigid. The first movies were black and white and silent, with piano accompaniment. The early sound films had large, flat records on which the sound was recorded. Getting the film and the sound synchronized was a challenge. As seen in the photo above, the projector and turntables took up a considerable space. Carlson Hall burned down in January 1944, when the temperature was 20 degrees below zero and most of the hydrants on this block were frozen. Fire equipment from Camp Hale and Minturn arrived too late to save the building. The projection equipment was saved, however, and now may be viewed in the Red Cliff Museum. It was manufactured by Motiograph, a successful producer, and a similar system may be seen in the New Castle Historical Museum (New Castle, CO), about sixty miles away. Motiograph sales in Western Colorado appear to have been successful.